There are a range of different crisis support services available (and often 24/7) staffed by people who are trained to assist those in distress.
In you live in Australia, you could try:
- Lifeline: Offers 24-hour telephone support for Australian adults in crisis or distress. Lifeline also provides online crisis support chat between 7pm and 4am. Call on 13 11 14 or visit their website.
- Suicide Call Back Service: Offers 24-hour telephone support for Australian adults in crisis, as well as video-chat counselling. Call on 1300 659 467 or visit their website.
- Mensline: Offers 24-hour crisis telephone support (or online counselling) specifically for Australian men in crisis or distress. Call on 1300 789 978 or visit their website.
- Kids Helpline: Offers 24-hour telephone and online support specifically for Australians aged between 5 and 25 years. Call 1800 551 800 or visit their website.
If you do not live in Australia and do not know of any crisis support services in your country:
- Please visit the Befrienders website to help you locate a crisis support service in your country.
- Alternatively, you could do a quick Google search using search terms such as ‘crisis support services’ and the name of your country.
If you feel you cannot keep yourself safe, go to the emergency room at your local hospital or call Emergency Services for an ambulance.
- In Australia the number for Emergency Services is 000.
- If you live outside of Australia, this website might help you to locate the Emergency Services number in your country.